To connect CIUMon to RoviSys Turbo by using serial ports:
- Set up a pair of serial ports on your computer
- Configure RoviSys Turbo to provide data to one port
- Configure CIUMon to connect to the other port
To set up the serial ports
- If RoviSys Turbo is running, exit RoviSys Turbo: on the File menu, click Exit.
- Connect two serial ports with a null-modem cable for CIUMon and RoviSys Turbo to communicate with each other through. RoviSys Turbo will connect to one of these ports, and CIUMon will connect to the other.
- Write down which ports you set up and which program you plan to connect to each of them.
- Very old versions of RoviSys Turbo cannot connect to serial ports above COM9, but you can use low port numbers for RoviSys Turbo and higher ones for CIUMon in that case.
- If RoviSys Turbo and CIUMon are on the same computer, and it does not have a 64-bit operating system, you can use virtual serial ports.
- If RoviSys Turbo and CIUMon are on different computers or on a computer with a 64-bit operating system, and there are not enough serial ports, you can add more ports with an internal interface card or a usb-to-serial converter. Alternately, you can use a third-party virtual serial port program.
To set up RoviSys Turbo
- Start RoviSys Turbo.
- Expand CIU in the left-hand pane. Right-click DBDOC, then click Properties.
- In the Port list, click the port that you set up for Rovisys Turbo. Select Read only operation and Allow R4. Click OK.
- On the Edit menu, click Ports. In the Port list, click the port that RoviSys Turbo was set to use in the previous step. Set the baud rate to 57600. Click OK. 115200 is overly vulnerable to ambient interference and should not be used.
- On the File menu, click Save. Then, start the connection to the CIU: on the View menu, click Monitor.
To set up CIUMon
- On CIUMon's Options menu, click CIUMon Settings. Choose a UDP port, and select your CIU type.
- Click the Communication Modes tab. Select Connect to RoviSys Turbo and via serial port. (Connect directly through serial port can be used instead, but there is some loss of performance using that option.)
- Click the Comm and Flow Control Settings tab. Select the serial port you set up earlier for CIUMon in the Serial Port list. In the Baud Rate list, click the baud rate of the serial port connected to the CIU.
Note: If you are using virtual serial ports, this setting doesn't matter.
- If you know that any of the other settings need to be changed for your setup, change them now. Usually the defaults are fine.
- Click OK to close the Options window. Then, make sure you can get data from your CIU.
Note: If the Communication Modes tab does not appear, you may be running CIUMon in relay mode. Load another configuration, and choose (New DCS Configuration) or another configuration that is in DCS mode.