In collector mode, CIUMon will wait for an upstream CIUMon to ask if there are any requests for data. Then, it will reply to the upstream CIUMon to send along any requests. If there is a firewall between your users and the upstream CIUMon, you need only configure the firewall to allow the upstream mode CIUMon to communicate through it on a single UDP port, and this will allow all of your users to get data by communicating with the collector receiver CIUMon. The collector receiver CIUMon does not initiate any communication with the upstream CIUMon; it waits for that CIUMon to ask for requests. If your firewall rules do not require the upstream CIUMon to initiate communications, you may use relay mode
To set up the upstream CIUMon
- Start CIUMon on the upstream computer that is connected to your CIU.
- If CIUMon is connected, disconnect it: on the File menu, click Disconnect.
- On the Options menu, click Settings. Click the Collector Source tab. Select Act as collector source, and type the IP address of the computer where you want to set up CIUMon in collector mode. You may also select which UDP port will be used to communicate with the collector receiver CIUMon.
- Click OK, and save your configuration. Then, connect CIUMon: on the File menu, click Connect.
To set up the collector receiver CIUMon
- On the computer where you want to run CIUMon in collector receiver mode, Start CIUMon and load a new relay configuration: on the File menu, click Load Configuration. Then, select (New Relay Configuration) and click OK.
- On the Options menu, click Settings.
- Click Collector Receiver. Make sure that the port in the Collector receiver UDP port box matches the one on the Collector Source tab of the upstream CIUMon.
- Click OK and save your configuration. Then, make sure you can get data from your CIU. Note that it may take about a minute before you can start getting data, as the collector CIUMon waits for the upstream CIUMon to establish a connection with it.
You do not need a DBDOC license for this computer if you are only going to use CIUMon in relay mode or collector receiver mode. If you are starting CIUMon manually from the folder where DBDOC is installed, you may view collector mode configurations using CIUMon_Relay.exe instead of CIUMon.exe in order to avoid being prompted about your license.
Note: In the display of the upstream CIUMon that is connected to the CIU, requests that come from the relay mode CIUMon will have the IP address of the relay mode CIUMon. However, the logon name will be the user who is using the data.
Note: If you need to get live data across two successive firewalls, you may set up a second collector receiver CIUMon to get data from the first. On the upstream collector receiver, click the Collector Source tab and set it up as you did with the upstream CIUMon, but using the IP address for the second collector receiver. Note that you only need to use the Collector Source tab when you are sending data to a second collector receiver.